Now that 2016 has come to a close, I would like to share these 17 global wishes for 2017.
- May the poor and most vulnerable escape the clutches of unrelenting poverty.
- May the hungry and malnourished have sustainable sources of nourishing foods.
- May we all enjoy good health, both physical and mental.
- May everyone have the opportunity for a quality education.
- May all girls and women be empowered and treated with equality.
- May we all have access to clean water and sanitation.
- May we all have access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy.
- May we all enjoy inclusive, sustainable and fulfilling economic growth.
- May we all have access to resilient and innovative industrialization and infrastructure.
- May we reduce inequalities within and amongst countries.
- May we find ways to make our cities and settlements more inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- May we find more efficient ways to meet our daily needs while generating fewer toxins and pollutants.
- May we find the political will to finally take effective action on climate change.
- May we respect and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources.
- May we respect and protect terrestrial ecosystems and biodiversity, and reverse land degradation.
- May we all live in peaceful and inclusive societies and have access to fair and just institutions.
- May all governments, civil society, and private sector organizations find ways to work together to ensure a sustainable planet for future generations.
If these wishes sound familiar, it is because they are based on the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. We all need to start collaborating in 2017 to ensure these goals are met by 2030.
Mel Wilson is a Partner and National Leader, Sustainable Business Solutions at PwC Canada. You can reach him here or follow him on twitter at @